This recipes comes from the cookbook Cake Ladies - Celebrating a Southern Tradition. We added the Blueberry Syrup filling. The recipe for the cake is pretty involved, but delicious. If you are pressed for time, you could also use a yellow cake mix - just make enough for all three layers!
For the cake
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1/4 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1. Beat the butter, shortening and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light an fluffy, stopping the mixer twice during mixing and scraping down the paddle, bottom and sides of the bowl.
2. Add the egg yolks to the mixture one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition. Beat until the egg yolks into the creamed mixture for 5 minutes, until they are fully incorporated and the entire mixture is light in color and texture.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a separate bowl and set aside. In another bowl, combine the milk, buttermilk, cream and vanilla.
4. Combine the dry and wet ingredients with the creamed mixture. Alternate dry and wet ingredients - ending with dry. Blend until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
5. Using the whisk attachment on the stand mixer, whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until they hold a stiff peak. Use a spatula to gently fold the whipped egg whites into the cake batter in three parts.
6. Pour the batter evenly into three prepared pans and bake for 22 to 26 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean and the sides of the cake have pulled away from the pan. Allow the cakes to cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan and set on a wire rack to finish cooling.
You can use the following recipe for the lemon curd, but we always like to offer easier/quicker solutions as well. We have been known to buy a couple jars of lemon curd from the grocery store and put it right on the cake.
For the lemon curd
3 fresh lemons
6 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 sticks (1cup) unsalted butter
1. Zest 3 lemons. Slice and juice the lemons, straining out seeds or pulp and retaining the juice.
2. Fill the bottom of a double boiler one-third of the way with water and bring to a boil on medium heat on the stovetop.
3. Place the juice and zest in the top of the double boiler, along with all the remaining ingredients and set over the boiling water. Stir frequently until the mixture is thick enough to cling to the spoon, 15 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl and set aside to cool completely.
To assemble the cake
Trim any uneven areas from the top of the cake layers. Place the first layer on a plate and cover the top in 3 Ingredient Blueberry Syrup. Repeat with the second layer. Use a lot of syrup to get plenty of blueberry flavor that holds up against the tart lemon curd. Once all three layers are stacked, cover the top and sides with lemon curd.
Leave the cake at room temperature to set. Once set, the cake is ready to serve and will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to a week.
Whipped cream cheese
Blackberry Patch Premium Fruit Syrups
Stir Blackberry Patch Premium Syrup (flavor of your choosing - here we've used Blueberry, Blackberry and Strawberry) into the whipped cream cheese! Keep adding until you get the color and flavor you want! Spread on top of toast and top with sprinkles and cut fruit - really any topping you like!
½ cup Blueberry Syrup
¼ cup red wine vinegar
Half shallot - diced
2 tsp cayenne pepper
Combine Ingredients in a pan or ziplock bag and add meat. Let marinate for at least 1 hour before grilling.
Blackberry Patch Blueberry Syrup
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup Blackberry Patch Wildflower Honey
1 cup lemon curd
1 tbsp lemon zest, for garnish
Fresh blueberries, for garnish
1. Place the cream and honey in a large bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
2. Layer whipped cream, lemon curd, and Blueberry Syrup to fill the glass. Garnish with lemons zest and fresh blueberries!
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tbsp Blackberry Patch Blueberry Syrup
2 tbsp Almond Butter
*optional - Greek Yogurt
Add dry oats, chia seeds and almond milk to your container. Let steep for at least 8 hours. Put these in the fridge before bed and you'll have a delicious healthy breakfast!
Wake up and remove from the refrigerator. Layer with almond butter and blueberry syrup. Try adding greek yogurt too! Top with fresh fruit or granola to add texture and color!
5 scoops of vanilla ice cream
1 cup whole milk
Blackberry Patch Blueberry Syrup
Blend ice cream and milk together to desired consistency. Add Blueberry Syrup to taste! A tasty tip is to line the glass with Blueberry Syrup as well!
1/3 cup Blackberry Patch Blueberry Syrup
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Combine ingredients in a jar with lid and shake to mix. Pour over salad.